Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wheat Flour = More Water

Last night I made pizza from scratch. I decided early on in the process, "If I have wheat flour I am going to use it... why not?"

When I put the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, sugar and non-dissolving yeast) I started to wonder if 1.5 cups of water would be enough with 1 TBSP of olive oil to get the dough into pizza form.

Nope.

While I imagine white flour would have been fine with 1.5 cups, the wheat flour was simply too heavy. I have a feeling this is a universal quality of wheat flour, so next time you bake with it keep in mind that you may need to use a bit more water to get the desired consistency.

The special part about this pizza was that it wasn't just that it looked tasty. The pizza was downright delicious and good for you to boot! What were the toppings?

Sliced artichoke hearts, sliced tomatoes and black olives on mozzarella cheese and red sauce.

I wish I had taken a picture, simply because it looked that awesome.

Oh, and apparently there is a new type of yeast that doesn't require reacting/dissolving in water in order to make rising dough. It blew my mind.

And for the record, the pizza tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment