Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hummus - I'm Not Scared Anymore

One of the most frightening foods in the world. It is also one of the most typical foods used to describe hippies or health nut women (other than granola).

My wife and I decided to partake in our local Mediterranean cuisine - Restaurant Salaam, in Athens, Ohio. I must say, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Our server/waiter, Matteo kicked ass, keeping up with my ridiculous water/tea consumption and describing the dishes he was bringing us.

The first thing we ordered was an appetizer platter that included hummus and baba ganousch with four dolmas (think egg roll with grape leaf replacing the egg).

Hummus had been on my 'to do' list for awhile. I decided to try some on the delicious house bread. As I spread the hummus on the bread I could almost feel my inner-ten year old soul screaming "It looks so gross!". Fortunately, I was able to keep focus and open my mind...and mouth to try this mysterious goo.

It was downright tasty. I would compare it to something in-between the texture of cream of wheat, with a taste that is all its own. I wish I could continue to describe the hummus for those of you that are scared to even look at it on a menu. If you have never had hummus, I highly suggest you cut some french bread into 1/2 inch slices and spread some hummus and get ready to experience food liberation!

No comments:

Post a Comment